Tuesday, January 24, 2012

... and knitting... and knitting... and knitting......

Knitting... it's taken over the time for my reading....  Bah.  But I love it.  I'm still learning, and I'm teaching myself, but I think I have concocted some interesting and awesome knitted things.  Here's what I made in December 2011....  

DJ's USC Beanie

My first and so far only hat to date.  It was difficult to figure out.  This was also my real first attempt at knitting in the round.  I was using circular needles, and I couldn't get the stitches all the way towards the end, so I ended up gathering more stitches and making the top look kind like a balloon knot with the way it was all bunchy...  However... It fits and looks awesome... AND I got it done in time for the big game day family rivalry party.  I want to make more, but I need to purchase some double point needles first.  That is next on my wish list.

Monica's Christmas Scarf and Glovelets

My sister was the first one to tell me she wanted me to make her something for Christmas.  It  got the idea flowing and I ended up making both her and my mom something for the holiday.  My sister only said she wanted a green scarf.  I went and found this really soft and uneven yarn in a nice forresty green.  When I was about halfway through with the scarf, I decided I wanted to try and make her little finger-less gloves.  Wrist warmers my aunt in Arizona called them.  So I finished the scarf and figured out an easy way to do the glovelets and finished those.  She LOVED them.  I don't have any proof that she has been using them, and we do live in Southern Cali... but I like to think they will get their use in the coming months.

My Own Glovelets

I liked the way I made my sister's little gloves... I made some of my own.  I took a break and lived out my dream of being a selfish knitter.  I used the left overs from DJ's beanie (good thing I liked the color) and did some of my own.  I wear them all the time.  They fit in my purse and are there to keep my hands toasty.... except for my fingers.... but that is a sacrifice I will just have to make.

My Mom's Cable Scarf

It's a shame you can't see the detail... or the pretty blue color (stupid phone camera flash).  This is what my mom asked for for Christmas.  She wanted a thin scarf with just a single cable knit.  So, I learned how to knit a cable.  It's surprisingly simple.  I watched a few youtube videos that weren't much help.  Then I found a pattern online and went at it.  

Attempted Chainlink Scarf

This was my attempt at those trendy chainlink scarves.  I realized when I was already too far in that I needed the double pointed needles to really have them be smaller chains.  That or else knitting a rectangle and sewing the sides up.  But, as I said, I am kind of making it up as I go along, I decided to stick with my vision.  What I have is a boring scarf that doesn't quite look right and that I will probably never wear.  But I made it, so I give it distinction here.  I definitely want another try at this when I purchase those needles I mentioned earlier.  

I might need to make a stop at Micheal's tomorrow after work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment