Thursday, March 1, 2012

I Had So Much to Do Today... But I Didn't...

Knitting is still going on... a lot.  It's a great time occupier!  Throw on some TV and knit away.  January and February brought some items that I am particularly proud of...


Silvery-Gray Cable Knit Cowl



I LOVE the way this turned out.  I had taught myself cable knit via youtube.com to make my mom's scarf for Christmas.  I took that pattern and figured out how to make THIS!
It's an alternated 6 stitch and 10 stitch cable pattern repeated to make this deliciously soft and warm cowl.  I wear it ALL that time!  It's a great winter addition to the majority of my wardrobe.







Ms. Smith's "S" Scarf

I created this scarf for an ex-co-worker of mine.  I had seen patterns where people has alternated between knit and purl stitches to create patterns in the knitting.  They patterns I had seen where from someone who had used the technique to make washcloths with Disney characters on them.  I thought I would start a little smaller then Eeyore and so I created the "S" pattern on this scarf.  The Ss looked awesome cause they were understated, but still visible as a texture on the scarf.  This was meant to be an experiment as well, but when I started, I like the way it looked so I gifted it.












Tracy's B-Day Scarf
This was just a simple scarf that I made for one of DJ's golfing friends.  She requested a scarf so I delivered!  Super soft and warm.

Mom's Dodger Blue Glovelets
I made these for my mom for her birthday.  I had some left over silver from my cowl and some left over blue from her Christmas scarf.  I love the way these ones turned out.  From color (which I didn't mean to coordinate with her favorite baseball team) to fit to length and all the in betweens.  They are made with super soft yarn and I made them a bit roomy.  Apparently she wears them "all the time!"

Experimental Hat for Ms Partma
I had been requested by a good friend for some glovelets.  So I went and got some pretty silver gray and made these.  I had so much yarn left over that I decided I would start to learn hats.  I had a pattern from online somewhere that looked to be a really cute oversized slouchy beret......  I followed the pattern to a T and what I got was..................



THIS...............................

It's not horrible... it's just nothing like the comfy slouchy beanie looked in the pattern pictures.  I was also unsure of how to use the Double Point Needles (DPNs from here on out in this blog) so I dropped a few stitches and didn't realize it so I kind of cheated and sewed them into the hat.  So... it's not perfect... but it was a start.  To make myself feel better... I added a pom pom......  




Selfish Knitting for ME!!!
I enjoy knitting for others, but I find that when I have too many gift projects I start pining to make something for ME!  So..... after finishing my mom's glovelets, I made these out of the left over yarn I had from three different projects.  My patchwork glovelets.  I love them.  I have worn them SO many times....  I don't want it to warm up because I don't want to have to put these away........

After the disaster with the previous hat.... I decided to try again.  I had bought this fuzzy "eyelash" yarn solely because I LOVED the red color, especially mixed with the black.  It was the first time I had bought yarn without a clear cut project in mind and I fought with myself over what to make with it for a long time.  I finally decided on a hat.  It's a bit big on my head, and with the yarn texture, I can't tell if I missed any stitches or messed it up some other way.  I'm ok with that.  I also don't know if it's something I'll ever wear.......  But I made a hat.  And I now know how to knit using DPNs..... so the possibilities are now endless!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment