Monday, October 1, 2012

Weeping Angels...

I thought when I first started this blog chain that I would first and foremost start out talking about my intense Coulrophobia.  It would be the one true and real phobia that I have... and it would also be the one that I might be able to talk about with the most depth and whatnot.  However, the thought of writing about it made me feel queasy   So, I decided to start out with something a little less terrifying.... 

The Weeping Angels of Doctor Who



I am relatively new to Who.  However I am hooked!  And for whatever reason the weeping angels are the creepiest things on that show thus far.  



At first, all you see is a simple, sad angel made of stone.  Sitting in the garden among the shrubs...  Then you turn away and when you look back!!  BAM!  Evil creepy scary snarling stone thing.







I do NOT like that.  In the teaser for this episode the tenth Doctor is telling someone via video recording Don't blink!  That is when they will get you.... they are fast, faster then you can imagine.  DON'T BLINK!  The basis is that as long as you are looking at the angel they are a statue.  When you turn away they move with incredible speed and silence until they are right there, snarling and ready to pounce.  There have now been three episodes of Doctor Who with the angels, and each just makes them more and more creepy to me.  There have been times when I catch myself giving wide berth to a statue in public.  Of course I feel silly once I realize it's been done, but I can't help my subconscious.  It does what it wants to.  

The first episode involving the angels it was just a normal garden statue come to life to haunt the characters in a house.  It was creepy in itself, but nothing really TERRIFYING, just another alien villain on a TV show.  The next time they were on, there were multiple angels and strobe lights and it just scared me!  Nothing to have nightmares about, at least not nightmares I can remember having.  I had vaguely forgotten this fear, until The Angels Take Manhattan! the fall finale that was aired last Saturday night.  Yeah...  Up until this episode, the weeping angels are just angel statues.  Sure I can avoid the random angel statue in LA.  However, in The Angels Take Manhattan episode....  every damn statue in New York is a weeping angel, or  weeping statue... or whatever....  They ALL come to life and want to take humans.  

Remember this internet meme:


Well........  It looks something like this:


The Statue of Liberty.  The Red Cross nurse helping a child in statue form.  They are EVERYWHERE.  And they are here to abduct humans for their own sinister deeds......  However...  they also introduced..... THESE:



Mother Effin Baby Weeping Angel Cherubs!  Oh man!  Come ON!  This combines two of my fears in one horrifying being.  Weeping angels that could be any statue on earth come to get me... and undead children (a fear that will likely be reviewed in a very near future post).  The childish psychotic giggling that haunts Rory in the dark.  Screw that!  I was just glad I watched the episode in the daytime and with company, even if that company was asleep.  

And that is why I have decided to start of my 31 days of scaring the crap outta myself with the Weeping Angels.  Working my way through my own private nightmare collection...  

No comments:

Post a Comment