Monday, October 1, 2012

31 Days of Facing my Own Fears....

OCTOBER IS HERE!  

This is the beginning of my favorite time of year.  Fall is upon us (even though I have yet to see any foliage actually change colors).  The weather is starting to cool down (even though it's almost 100º today).  Most important, Halloween is right around the corner (even though its on a Wednesday this year and thus might as well be just another week day).  

Halloween has been my favorite ever since I was a little girl, running around the neighborhood as Glenda the Good.  As I aged, I still always loved and looked forward to Halloween with great anticipation.  Agonizing over the details of a costume I had chosen the day after Halloween the previous year.  Even now, as an adult, I still look forward to dressing up and going out with friends to see and be seen by all those who enjoy the chance to be a child at heart.  There is truly nothing greater than receiving permission to dress up as someone else, run around the neighborhood like a wild child, all the while begging free candy from strangers.

Unfortunately, over the last few years, it has become more and more difficult to get myself in the mood for the holiday. It's become a chore trying to find a cute costume that isn't completely cheap.  It's even more difficult to find a cute costume that isn't just some slutty version of something awesome.  There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING sexy about Freddy Kruger... or Big Bird for that matter.  You wanna do something sexy, be Rainbow Brite or She-Ra.  Skimpy costumes... without actually being just a slutty version.  It's just so difficult.  Add to that, going out on Halloween is just asking to be surrounding by Slutty Freddy and Babalicious Big Bird all night.  I just don't have the energy.  Me in my mid-thigh length skirt and cat ears all of a sudden becomes the matron kitty in the corner.  You just can't compete with a skin tight crayon dress.  You can make up hilarious jokes about the crayon and her relative brightness as compared to her crayon friends.  However, even that will only get you so far.

This year, I'm keeping it simple (and inexpensive) and I'm excited.  I am also going to attempt to get back to the root of Halloween.  The thing I loved most about it as I was growing up.  Getting the bujeezus scared out of me!  So every night that I can get a few minutes (and I'm hoping to find that most nights), I am going to write a post.  Each post is going to be something that scares me.  Some of them will be things that absolutely terrify me.  Some will be things that I simply find a little bit creepy.  Some of them will be things that you see in everyday occurrences.  While some will be things from TV or the internet or someone's very fucked up imagination.  They will be in no particular order, and hopefully by the time Halloween rolls around... there will be a list of 31 things I am scared of.  All in the effort to scare the bujeezus out of myself.........  And perhaps a random reader now and again.



No comments:

Post a Comment